internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] parade in Chapel Hill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] parade in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:47:30 -0400

Ian Meyer wrote:
it baffles me why this guy still has a job (i can't in good concience
say this is a *bad* thing, its his right to orgainze it, but still,
its bullshit, as is a lot of the other shit he's pulled)

If you're offended, and you seem to be, then why can't you say this is a bad thing? Sure, it's his right to speak his views and his right to organize a march. But that doesn't mean those of us who are offended have to sit still and let it go unchallenged.

I'm offended by the "straight power" march. I find it bigoted and obviously calculated to arouse bigoted behavior. And while the invective suffered by the t-shirt lady was clearly misdirected venom, it demonstrates that a lot of people in this community were offended.

Dumas is not doing this as a private citizen, he is speaking via a 100,000 watt radio transmitter to many thousands of listeners. His employer (Clear Channel, which owns hundreds of such transmitters) has a statutory duty to use its broadcast license in the community interest? Is it in the interests of our community to have a straight power march in Chapel Hill? (WDCG's license is up for renewal, I believe.) Is fomenting divisiveness a responsible use of the airwaves?

And why did he choose Franklin Street in Chapel Hill? Why not Fayetteville Street Mall or even Ninth Street in Durham? He chose it for the same reasons the Klan did years ago. Because of what Chapel Hill symbolizes. There will be thousands of anti-intellectual f-you boys foaming at the mouth to piss all over Chapel Hill. The Klan is so 20th Century. Bigotry is much more sophisticated now.

TaB