internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Yahoo treats GMail invites as SPAM

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Yahoo treats GMail invites as SPAM
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:32:25 -0400

this site makes me laugh:

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/drugnews.html

The three drug ads on the right side are context-sensitive ads from Google, but they are fed to the newspaper by DoubleClick. They exhibit the evil that the reporter is trying to expose. There are only two problems: 1) the newspaper has little or no control over the ads that appear, and 2) they're making money off of the ads. The excellent reporting is part of the solution, while the newspaper itself remains part of the problem.

(a) AdWords are delivered by Google. Not DoubleClick. DoubleClick and other advertisers have started to make ads however, that look like AdWords ads...
(b) So what if the newspaper has no control, it doesn't reflect on them, just the advertiser
(c) so what if they're making money? they're being paid by the online pharmacies, and making money is what capitalism is all about

and then...

http://www.namebase.org/crawlers.html

Name Base is run by PIR, the same people who did gmail-is-too-creepy.com, but they seem to have a different stance on google at the above linked page...

hmmm...

i think i'll stick by google till i really see reason not to

~ian