internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] *jaw hits floor*

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] *jaw hits floor*
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:13:05 -0400

Matusiak wrote:

> Yes - you clean *your* glasses on *your* shirt. I'm sure once you
> start wiping garbage off on other people (potentially without their
> permission), then you will have your own spoof site. Bush-hater or
> not, he shows very little concern for "The Little People" here in
> America. And with comments like this "...everyday this administration
> shows it's disdain for the Constitution and for human rights..." how is
> it that you are not misconstrued as a Bush-hater? Sheesh.

I'm not a Bush hater. I made a statement that I believe is backed up by
reading their own words and be examining their actions. I didn't indicate
any hatred for Bush or anyone else. Why is it that someone disagreeing with
something is labeled as hatred?

I hear your argument and I've read the argument that this shows how arrogant
Bush is and I can see that to a small extent, but I think that there are
many more telling clips people ought to see.

> >> take a peek at Baghdad:
> >> http://www.aboutbaghdad.com/
> >> *** This film showing TONIGHT ONLY at 7:00 PM; Carolina Theater in
> >> Durham
> >> http://www.movieminder.com/showtheater/?tcode=16
> >
> > I wish I could go see this one. The clip was very interesting, very
> > well
> > done and appeared very balanced. It appears to be a good inside look
> > at the
> > situation there.
> >
> > I wasn't for the war or what is happening now, but I can't help but
> > think,
> > as I heard this very western looking person ask questions, that this
> > movie
> > wouldn't have been possible 2 years ago when Saddam was in power.
>
> You live in Durham. The movie is in Durham. Does it have to play at
> your house?

Well, since I've been in the hospital several times in the past few weeks I
probably won't be up to going to it. Sitting in one place for more than
about 20 minutes is still very painful. But if it plays again near the end
of the month I'll probably make it. Otherwise, Yes, it will have to play at
my house.

I'd also like to see Saved and Super Size Me as well.

> >> and don't forget THE MOVIE OF THE SUMMER!!!!
> >> http://www.fahrenheit911.com/
> >> Opens in just 10 days!! Buy your advance tickets now!!! See
> >> multiple
> >> shows!!!
> >
> > Can't wait for this one and I'm hoping he really does the movie about
> > Tony
> > Blair that he has been talking about doing.
>
> <mocking>
> "Oh gee!! I love Michael Moore and all his great books and films!!!
> I certainly can't wait to see him skewer Bush in his new one,
> Fahrenheit 9/11!!"
> </mocking>
>
> Yeah, being tight with Big Man Moore certainly doesn't make you look
> like a Bush-hater.

I really like Michael Moore and his films, his TV shows and some of his
causes. And I have also had the pleasure of meeting him on several
occasions, but I wouldn't say I'm in tight with him. He does have an agenda
and he is more liberal with his politics than I am. Plus he supports people
I couldn't support, such as his support for General Wesley Clark - which I
think was ill-advised on Moore's part as Clark has a very questionable past
in regards to human rights. But I respect the work that Moore has done and I
have enjoyed it immensely. So, yes, I can't wait to see it.

Instead, it makes you look like a well-balanced,
> rational individual.

Well, I try to be a well-balanced and rational individual which is generally
why I don't label people at haters, neo-nazis, etc. I respect their
opinions and their right to have them. I think rational discourse is
preferred over name calling.

> Also, most reports I've read include MM himself debunking that "Blair
> film" myth. He made an offhand comment at Cannes and now the world
> expects him to make an anti-Blair film, as well.

Moore did indicate on his site that he was only joking about the Tony Blair
film. Too bad.

> >> and it looks like the neo-nazis are going to try to prevent
> >> non-violent, civilian Americans from even SEEING this film. Isn't
> >> that
> >> what America was founded on? Extreme ignorance, followed by grotesque
> >> hatred and coupled with censorship?!?!
> >>
> >> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1144334/posts
> >> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1139072/posts
> >> http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=4972
> >> http://www.pabaah.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=469
> >> http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1146799/posts
> >>
> >> funny how all the people calling for a boycott have not seen this film
> >> and are promising to never see it. what? can't I make up my own
> >> mind?? the French really seemed to like it!
> >
> > Wow, how different we see things. I read nothing about neo-nazi's,
> > nothing
> > about hatred, nothing about censorship in any of these that I looked
> > at.
>
> Dude, you obviously didn't read very far. The Free Republic extremists
> (FReePers or something) are trying to rally people to go boycott the
> theaters and make it difficult/uncomfortable/potentially threatening
> for anyone to go see this film. They have said everything under the
> sun, including that Disney/Miramax should not be allowed to distribute
> this film (dumbasses want to "boycott Miramax" when in fact they passed
> on the option to put the film out) and that they want to be out there
> to have a physical presence so that Moore filmgoers "would see the
> anger of the FReePers." Doesn't that sound like intimidation to you?
> or Censorship?

No, I consider most of this an expression of their rights. If they want to
threaten people then they would be violating the law and need to be dealt
with appropriately.

> > As far as what America was founded upon, isn't this the very core of
> > it?
>
> Yeah, but I don't want idiots hurling Coke cans at my head because I
> choose to go see a movie they don't like.

Much as some people don't want to be called names because they choose to eat
meat or wear leather or fur. And if anyone hurls a Coke can at your head
they need to be arrested.

As you have said below if they want to stand their and hold signs, then they
have that right. They can also talk or yell, or do a number of other things
without breaking the law.

> > These citizens are choosing to express their opinion against Michael
> > Moore and in
> > support of the current administration and its' policies. They are
> > exercising the right to protest, to campaign against something, and to
> > boycott something. Much the same as I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I
> > don't like their labor practices, their political donations, or the
> > effect
> > they have on towns and cities.
>
> Blah blah blah. These "rights" you hold so dear only apply to
> Americans when they are conducting themselves in a non-violent,
> non-threatening way. If they want to stand there with signs and look
> like jackasses, then fine. If they want to come out to "show their
> anger" and attempt to prevent access to the film, then I say "Let Mall
> Security club their dumb asses."

I hope everyone holds those right so dear.

What other dumb-asses should be clubbed for protesting? Anti-forestry
people that block access to forests? What about animal rights activists
that try to protect animal habitats?

> > Why should they see the film if they don't want to? I mean that is
> > sort of
> > like me saying you should shop at Wal-mart before you complain about
> > how
> > they treat their employees or boycott them for using underpaid oversees
> > labor.
>
> I'm not saying ANYONE should HAVE to see the film. What I AM saying is
> that I would like free, unrestricted access to go see this movie as if
> I were headed into The Lion King. Also, I was being critical of them
> for stating that this was an Anti-American film and should be banned
> (along with all the works of MM) BEFORE ANY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS SEEN
> THE FILM.

So should everyone have had to shop or work at Wal-mart in order to be able
to protest their policies? Do you have to see how animals used for fur or
leather are killed to decide it's cruel or decide to protest it? Jeez. By
your logic hardly anyone has a right to protest anything or even have an
opinion on something. Ridiculous! Maybe they have read reviews. Maybe
some have seen it. Or maybe they don't need to see it. I don't need to see
City Slickers 3 to know it's gonna suck. And I don't need to listen to the
next piece of rhetoric from Osama bin Laden. He isn't going to change my
mind and I'm never going to agree with him.

As far as banning the film, that is equally as ridiculous and shows how
their beliefs cannot stand up to competition and critical review.