internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] *jaw hits floor*

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: quack AT ibiblio.org
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] *jaw hits floor*
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

Shea wrote:
> Matusiak wrote:

>> and it looks like the neo-nazis are going to try to prevent
>> non-violent, civilian Americans from even SEEING this film. Isn't that
>> what America was founded on? Extreme ignorance, followed by grotesque
>> hatred and coupled with censorship?!?!
>>
>> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1144334/posts
>> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1139072/posts
>> http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=4972
>> http://www.pabaah.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=469
>> http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1146799/posts
>>
>> funny how all the people calling for a boycott have not seen this film
>> and are promising to never see it. what? can't I make up my own
>> mind?? the French really seemed to like it!
>
> Wow, how different we see things. I read nothing about neo-nazi's,
> nothing about hatred, nothing about censorship in any of these
> that I looked at. As far as what America was founded upon, isn't
> this the very core of it? These citizens are choosing to express
> their opinion against Michael Moore and in support of the current
> administration and its' policies. They are exercising the right
> to protest, to campaign against something, and to boycott
> something. Much the same as I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I
> don't like their labor practices, their political donations, or
> the effect they have on towns and cities.
>
> Why should they see the film if they don't want to? I mean that
> is sort of like me saying you should shop at Wal-mart before you
> complain about how they treat their employees or boycott them for
> using underpaid oversees labor.

While I did read several posts that were supportive of Moore's right to
speak even while planning to stage their public disagreement of his
message, I read an equal or greater number of posts that were not
supportive of Moore's right, or were outright inflammatory. All due props
to those who recognize the sameness of Moore's rights and their own, but
those only expressing hatred can probably guess where to shove it.

--S