internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] JavaScript - an actual application

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jeff Clayton" <jclayton AT tfn.net>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] JavaScript - an actual application
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:38:22 -0400

A few weeks ago there was a short discussion about javascript and
negativity, and I can see that the reason is that noone has really shown
what it can do.

In fact, it can do much of what an actual pc can do, and since most
machines can handle dhtml nowadays - while not easy, I have been working
on cross-browser code for a while, and am able to use it for real
purposes.

To show you what I mean, I made the game 'solitaire' if you are unaware
that dhtml/javascript can be used to make actual windows style
applications.

http://JeffClayton.com/sol.htm

It does have some quirks, not in the dhtml but that is because it is a
full game, subject to game design debugging and the fact I whipped this
together in my spare time. I may spend some time debugging the game flow
later, but it will be in my spare time only. I have played it through
several times for test purposes.

My machines are a 600mhz desktop and a 1.5ghz laptop, this is working
fine with browsers as of the last few years: netscape 4, netscape 6+7,
mozilla 1.6, internet explorer 4,5,6, opera 7 (opera 6 cannot in that it
did not have some engine code modern dhtml applications require for best
results)

The web is about multimedia, not just text. I use this stuff primarily
for interfaces on internet/intranet web servers. Anyone who has used
powerpoint knows the directions these things can take.

Jeff Clayton
SoftwareEngineer AT JeffClayton.com