internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Processor-Modem-Connection Relationship

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Processor-Modem-Connection Relationship
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:23:10 -0400

On May 15, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Alan MacHett wrote:

I really hope this isn't a stupid question. I've been searching online,
but all of my search results are commercial links.

What determines download speeds? More specifically, does processor speed
at all figure into the equation? Eg. If Joe and Jane have the same DSL
and the same high-speed modem, but Joe has a slower computer, will he
notice a difference in his download speed?

For straight up downloads no, CPU speed is not a major factor. However streaming video, or other media that is processed in real time is CPU intensive though. When talking DSL you don't say if the modem is USB or Ethernet connected to the system. There are several things that could affect your download performance:

1) Ethernet config
2) USB (1.1, 2.0, 2.0 hi-speed)
3) Disk speed
4) Any applications using the network or disk while downloading.

--
Scott (aim: bluecame1)
blog: http://sackheads.org/~scottrus/blog/