internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Processor-Modem-Connection Relationship

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Processor-Modem-Connection Relationship
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 01:26:29 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, here's my current setup:
- Pentium II 232MHz
- 192M RAM
- 512K cache
- RH Linux Fedora Core 1
- Ethernet connection, to a Westell 2200 (B90-220030-04)
WireSpeed™ Dual Connect NAT Modem, using PPPoE

Usually the only other app open is the command line window, and maybe a
basic text editor.

Someone else suggested I try reducing the MTU of my system, from 1500 to
1400. I've been unsuccessful in that so far (ifconfig isn't holding).
I'm not sure that's really the answer as far as *down*loading is
concerned.

With the exception of the memory allotment for Mozilla (and, coming from a
Mac background, I'm not even sure this is possible or necessary under
Linux), I've tweaked just about everything I can think of. I'm still
getting only ~30K of my possible 256K connection. Can anyone think of
anything else?

I think it's time to fart in BellSouth's general direction...

:\
Alan