internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] more Linux and the fool

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] more Linux and the fool
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:51:52 -0400

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 03:37 PM, Alan MacHett wrote:

o! great Linux gurus!

the idiot-leader needs assistance ... again. ;)

...so I decided I didn't like the group name assigned to my personal login
on this machine my friend gave me; the user name and group name were the
same (apparantly that's standard under (later) RHL). I changed the group
name; I don't believe that I changed anything else, just the name of the
group.

oh, you are so completely hosed. just throw that box out and start over with a new one. :)

Well, when I logged in again, all of the environment settings and personal
preferences have disappeared. Desktop image gone, toolbar gone, bookmarks
in Mozilla gone, etc, etc.

How do I fix that? (as in, without having to manually reset everything)
Can I fix that? (as in, suck it up, Alan, you're a Linux idiot and you'll
have to redo it all by hand)(as in, Matusiak's right and Linux is a pain
in the arse) ;)

and what about my right? soon you'll be going after my left, too!

not to mention, "I Love Linux!"(tm). it has one of the best kernels in the world and serves exquisitely well as a server, router or network device.

...time to invest in a RHL manual. My newbie-ness in trying to navigate
this stuff is tempting me to take this machine to Uzi's grill tomorrow...

dude, didn't I already give you a book on linux? did you feed it to your cats?

dave m.