internetworkers - [internetworkers] more Linux and the fool

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] more Linux and the fool
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:37:24 -0400 (EDT)

o! great Linux gurus!

the idiot-leader needs assistance ... again. ;)

...so I decided I didn't like the group name assigned to my personal login
on this machine my friend gave me; the user name and group name were the
same (apparantly that's standard under (later) RHL). I changed the group
name; I don't believe that I changed anything else, just the name of the
group.

Well, when I logged in again, all of the environment settings and personal
preferences have disappeared. Desktop image gone, toolbar gone, bookmarks
in Mozilla gone, etc, etc.

How do I fix that? (as in, without having to manually reset everything)
Can I fix that? (as in, suck it up, Alan, you're a Linux idiot and you'll
have to redo it all by hand)(as in, Matusiak's right and Linux is a pain
in the arse) ;)

...time to invest in a RHL manual. My newbie-ness in trying to navigate
this stuff is tempting me to take this machine to Uzi's grill tomorrow...

thanks,
Alan
fearless-clueless leader