internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] more Linux and the fool

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: z <zzd AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] more Linux and the fool
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:26:42 -0400

On Thursday 22 April 2004 03:37 pm, Alan MacHett wrote:
> o! great Linux gurus!
>
> the idiot-leader needs assistance ... again. ;)
>
> ...so I decided I didn't like the group name assigned to my personal login
> on this machine my friend gave me; the user name and group name were the
> same (apparantly that's standard under (later) RHL). I changed the group
> name; I don't believe that I changed anything else, just the name of the
> group.
>
> Well, when I logged in again, all of the environment settings and personal
> preferences have disappeared. Desktop image gone, toolbar gone, bookmarks
> in Mozilla gone, etc, etc.
>
> How do I fix that? (as in, without having to manually reset everything)
> Can I fix that? (as in, suck it up, Alan, you're a Linux idiot and you'll
> have to redo it all by hand)(as in, Matusiak's right and Linux is a pain
> in the arse) ;)
>
> ...time to invest in a RHL manual. My newbie-ness in trying to navigate
> this stuff is tempting me to take this machine to Uzi's grill tomorrow...
>
> thanks,
> Alan
> fearless-clueless leader
> http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ You are currently subscribed to
> InterNetWorkers mailing list

Probably the best way to modify a group name is to use the groupmod command
(man groupmod). You can change a groups name like so...

mypc root# groupmod -n newGroupName oldGroupName

Since all files are stored with a groups gid and not the name, that would be
pretty much it.

Now I do not know what you did to change the group name, but simply editing
the /etc/groups file would not have been a good idea. Try changing things
back to the way they were and then try the groupmod command.

Next time you pass a book store, look for a good linux book that covers most
of the basic commands, there a lots of them out there