internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Virii -n- such

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Virii -n- such
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:39:44 -0400

A great place to look for information on virii are the websites of the
antivirus software companies. I usually start with Symantec's Antivirus
Research Center at www.sarc.com. They will also accept submissions of
suspected virii for analysis.

That particular one you describe looks like it could be Netsky.T or a
variant thereof. Take a look at the following for a detailed
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.t AT mm.html

Keep in mind that many of these virii use spoofed addresses in the
'from' field, so the person it appears to be coming from likely is not
who it actually is coming from.

HTH,
Bill