internetworkers - [internetworkers] CLI

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: rowland AT cashi.us, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] CLI
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:02:38 -0400

Rowland Smith wrote:
I was a mac developer for about 10 years. I didn't realize how useful the command line could be to a programmer until i went to work at IBM in 1995, and had to use OS/2 and then windoz. I'd used command lines on Apple II and mainframes, but not very much. I should have had a clue when Apple released their Macintosh Programmers Workshop (MPW), way back in the day, that gave developers a unix-like command line to work with. However, it was fairly expensive, and I didn't 'grok' it.

If you haven't already, y'all need to read "In the Beginning was the Command Line" by Neal Stephenson. He's got a pithy and amusing (and rambling) take on UIs. One of his anecdotes is about said Macintosh Programmers Workshop. It's a quick read, and free.

http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

TaB