internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:16:43 -0500

Hmmm, add it all up and the Place to Rock in Raleigh list doesn't look too bad after all:

Kings
Lincoln Theatre
Pour House
Berkeley Cafe
Bickett Gallery
Sadlacks

And you can in add in sometimes rockin' joints all up and down the size spectrum, such as the RBC, Disco Rodeo, Clark Art Basement and the GreenHouse.

It's not all my cup of tea, but there are hometown options. And while each of these joints tends to have a "house sound" when it comes to booking, all of them have proved to be pretty open to putting in other types of shows when the support is there.

And it looks like the recently closed Retail space will become the Martin Street Music Hall. I was there for the Alejandro Escovedo benefit and the can say that the upstairs room is pretty nice rock facility with probably something like 2/3rds the capacity of the Cradle.

I'm still waiting for someone to build an all night metro system with stops in my neighborhood and by the Cradle/Local 506/Go!, but that's not gonna happen. Sometimes you've gotta drive to Rock.

Speakin' of which, if you haven't seen The Loners you are missing out on one of the best local acts currently going.

--rt

Steve Burnett wrote:

Paula C. wrote:

It's been a long damn time since I voluntarily drove to Raleigh to see a

show at the Brewery. Their booking has sucked for my taste, no doubt.
But perhaps more relevant, they didn't try to reach out and gather a
scene unto themselves, either. For example, the Pourhouse: You

personally might not ever want to see a show there, but boy, they know

their niche market, and they book to it. What did the Brewery try to
book to?

As far as I could tell, the Brewery booked a lot of metal shows over the
last year or two.

Bigger acts will go to the Lincoln the same way as they go to the Cradle

in Chapel Hill, but there's still a whole lot of space in music world
left unbooked, and I can't see that Kings would get all of that business
in Raleigh. After all, Raleigh is much larger than Chapel Hill, and yet
CH manages to keep Go!, 506, the Cave, and Nightlight going. Admittedly,
some of those places have suffered financial difficulties, but they are
there. I see Kings as sort of the 506 of Raleigh, but were is the Cave
of Raleigh, where small local acts can get booked?

To a very limited extent, Berkeley Cafe. Also Kings' Sunday afternoon (5pm
to 7 or 8ish pm) series they started a few months ago is an attempt to
provide a venue for small local acts.

Where is the Nightlight of Raleigh, with odd, avant-garde, or even

non-rock acts?

The closest counterpart to the Nightlight I know of in Raleigh is Bickett
Gallery: my group played there more than once last year, and Walt Davis's
AIM (Alliance for Improvised Music) has routed several AIM-related
free-jazz and similar groups (Gunda Gottschalk from Europe, Eugene
Chadbourne, and so on) performances to play there.

If there's anywhere else in Raleigh that fits that description of booking
"odd, avant-garde, or even non-rock acts" , I'd really love to know about
it :). Seriously. Otherwise I may have to follow through on my threat to
start hosting a house concert series in my living room.

best,
Steve Burnett Subscape Annex http://www.subscapeannex.com/

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/