internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Today's Supreme Court Ruling

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Today's Supreme Court Ruling
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:41:48 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:

So, a Satan worshipper should be able to use Food Stamps to buy a goat
that is to be sacrificed in a Black Mass? But only if the participants
eat and derive nourishment therein? That's ridiculous, don't you think?

Ah yes, satanists... Apparently they are more of a problem than they appear. At the least hint of accommodation to the religious we are warned of droves of satanists, standing patiently in queues, waiting to apply for equal treatment. I have no doubt that, but for the vigilance of the church-and-state types, we should all be overrun.
... I am at least sympathetic to the argument that those little white wafers are more properly an intriguing form of edible styrofoam and that they fail the "food" test. I would not be particularly upset by a decision that forbids the use of food stamps to buy communion bread as long as it was narrowly worded.

I'd say the point more properly should be stated in terms of its use
in a /ritual/. Especially a ritual in which the participants believe,
for the sake of an argument, that said wafer is transformed through an
act of holy magic into the body of Jesus Christ, and therefore cannot,
without violating some statute or another, be considered "eating food".

It is embarrassing to admit that I had altogether forgotten the overarching public need to prevent "rituals". You won't rat me out, will you?

Lee