internetworkers - Church Food was Re: [internetworkers] Today's Supreme Court Ruling

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Church Food was Re: [internetworkers] Today's Supreme Court Ruling
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:48:07 -0500

On Thursday, Feb 26, 2004, at 13:20 US/Eastern, Lee Haslup wrote:

While you are thinking about that one, consider also a priest who wants to use his food stamps to buy "communion" bread for his church. He argues that "spiritual food" considerations aside, the small white disks are edible and, thus, constitute "food." Since he, and presumably his congregation, meet the economic criteria for under-privilege, and since he is buying food, he claims he should be able to use his food stamps.

Now, I would argue that the priest in my analogy has logic on his side and would probably come down on his side. Still, there is more to life than logic and I am at least sympathetic to the argument that those little white wafers are more properly an intriguing form of edible styrofoam and that they fail the "food" test.

For real communion bread, go to a Greek Orthodox church. Yum! The ladies bake it fresh each Sunday, no mass-produced tasteless body of Christ there. The wine's better too. I was sorely disappointed when I first took communion elsewhere.

Atheist or no, I'll probably celebrate Greek Easter forever, if only for the lamb, Easter bread and red eggs. There's even a "game" that goes with the red eggs. I'll skip the traditional Mayeritsa soup, though. Supposedly, the eyeballs are the best part. My Yia Yia (grandmother) would chase my Mom around the house with them.

http://www.epicurus.com/food/international/greek/R115.htm

Greeks really know how to make their religion delicious and fun!

Diana