internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] feel like a zoo animal?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: MCW <mcw AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] feel like a zoo animal?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:30:03 -0500

On Friday 20 February 2004 10:10 am, Tony Spencer wrote:
> > It's important to have respect
> > for different opinions, so I will keeping an open mind as he
> > talks about his opposition to integration. We should be able
> > to come to a compromise. Maybe if he can let blacks go to
> > school, I'll start being mean to them.
>
> Indeed it is important to have respect for different opinions. It is not
> open minded or respectful to assume that a self-proclaimed Republican is by
> definition a racist.

For those of you who need things spelled out, Tony has provided the perfect
opportunity.

The point here is that in 1963, many people thought that racism was morally
correct, and made public arguments to that effect. Clearly, most people today
do not hold this view. The gay marriage issue is to today what segregation
was to 1963. In time, someone will make a sarcastic remark on a mailing list
(or the cool futuristic equivalent) and someone else will mistake it for a
literal remark. They will become indignant, and declare that they (and most
people of some particular affiliation) do not oppose gay marriage.