internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] new building, seeking internet access advice

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jim Ray" <jim AT neuse.net>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] new building, seeking internet access advice
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:13:09 -0500

Question:
How many offices are in each condo? If there are only 7 total offices, me
thinks I'd consider pulling wires to one central point next to the
demarcation point for the telephone lines. Then, you can use one standard
cabling plant to route Internet and/or phone service to wherever you need
it.

I've got a single channel of a fractional T1 (64 kbps) serving up Internet
and AS/400 for 40 devices. Performance really blows yet it works. With
inexpensive broadband, you should be able to share a connection without any
problems.

There are security issues regarding everyone plugging into the same device,
though, and remedies to handle the security issues.

Feel free to contact me off list if you would like additional details.

Regards,

Jim
jim AT neuse.net
838-1672 x201