internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] new building, seeking internet access advice

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] new building, seeking internet access advice
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:33:44 -0500

>From a technology perspective, yes it can be done. The potential problems
are not the technology but the people. One DSL line might plenty of
bandwidth for 7 people to share, but what if one or two people are sucking
up the majority of bandwidth after work? Do you want to go to the hassle of
installing bandwidth metering at the router? Who gets the router and the
account in their name? Who wants to nag the other 6 neighbors for their part
of the bill each month? If you're all sharing a wireless LAN, how do you
feel about your neighbors watching your unencrypted email fly by in the
ether? Is any of the seven residents sharing the wireless LAN going to be
running a public server, how do you feel about the security of your computer
should someone breach the network ?

Do all 7 people have jobs they leave for in the morning? In such an ideal
situation then maybe the businesses would be open to "subleasing" their
unused bandwidth at night back to the residents.

All tricky questions that require a high degree of coordination that could
lead to ill-will among neighbors. Spend the $40-50/month for seperate lines
and in the spirit of good communal condo living have your neighbors over for
tea instead.

- SL

>Any thoughts from the INW crowd? I don't know much about wi-fi, but
>would it make sense for us all to chip in for one DSL connection, then
>set up a wi-fi network or wireless LAN? If the business are wired with
>T1 connections, would it be practical/beneficial for us condo owners to
>try to piggy back on that? Any other ideas for cooperative internet
access?