internetworkers - [internetworkers] Marriage and religion

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:16:55 -0500

I know, I know, very sensitive topic. But I am truly at a loss with the current arguments that marriage is the province of the churches, therefore shouldn't be recognized by states unless churches approve. As Craig and I are both atheists and our ceremony explicitly did not include the word "God", why is our marriage recognized by the governments? It was certainly not sanctified by any church. In fact, the state is in the business of providing secular marriages at court houses and judge's offices. How does calling the union of two people a civil union differ from these secular marriages? Will the current proposed changes to state and federal constitutions inadvertently reclassify all such marriages as civil unions?

I truly am curious about serious answers to these questions. I don't know that any of you know the answer, but it's worth a try in this diverse forum.

Thanks!

Diana