internetworkers - [internetworkers] Fun with headers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Fun with headers
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:42:31 -0500

Every once in a while, I get some junk email forwarded through and through that ends up at me. And sometimes, its just the wrong time of day, and I decide to have a little fun.

Last night at 2 am, I checked my email, and because Mail had crashed earlier, it re-downloaded some emails, and at first I didn't realize this, so I read this crap that I had previously not read form the 21st.

There were so many email addresses in it that when I tried to send out my response, the .mac mail server told me there were too many.

What was it? Well, it was some trite little thing about North Carolina, and I remember something about possums sleeping in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.

So I replied as follows:

Alright, first off, so there's no doubt why you all are getting this...

Its 2:30 AM, and I just checked my email and found something somewhat funny that was preceeded by dozens upon dozens of email addresses that no one had bothered to clean out. So I guess you all want me to have your email address. Please be responsible. BCC and clean out the old headers when forwarding.

Now, here's what I've learned...

In Washington, D.C., its alright to lie to the American people every day, its alright to send hundreds of American soldiers to their deaths for no good reason, the rats live in the White House and work in the Oval Office, the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security...

And people in North Carolina mostly don't seem to care.

Ian Meyer
ianmeyer AT mac.com
ijmeyer AT ncsu.edu
President, Linux Users Group @ NCSU
Interim Vice President, PackMUG (Mac User Group at NCSU)

And oh boy did I receive replies. 5 email addresses bounced within seconds. Then came the ugly ones later, this morning.

Do not send me any more of your biased political crap.

<x-tad-bigger>I did not send you my email address. Remove my email address right now from your anti-American address book and never send me another of your misguided liberal emails of any kind for any reason.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>America-love it or get out now.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Go Bush.</x-tad-bigger>

The last was my favorite. No signature. Nothing. From an AOL Address.

Oh boy it must be nice to be so ignorant.

Sorry if you guys don't care, I just have to vent :p

~Ian