internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:17:39 -0500

>upgrades, sometimes not-so-easy with major-rev upgrades), but you
>almost certainly won't be able upgrade from RH9.0 to Fedora or use any
>Fedora RPMs in RH9.0. If you're just getting started, you'd be better

Actually, using an automated package managment system such as yum, makes it
incredibly easy to upgrade from a standard RH 9.0 workstation installation
to Fedora. I merely had to install yum, change it's configuration file and
point it to a Fedora repository. Of course your mileage may vary. In light
of that, Paul's & Steven's advice are to be headed. Keep it patched, keep it
secure, and if you don't feel confident it's both keep it off the 'net. If
using a RedHat based distribution is your choice, Fedora will have the most
current patches & security fixes in the future.

Michael since it sounds as if you're just getting started and looking for
advice/installation help to have everything set up
you would probably benefit from the Triangle Linux Users Group InstallFest
this coming weekend. Details below:

- SL

*** Shameless Event Plug ****
== Installfest is Saturday, Jan 24 ==

This note is to confirm that the TriLUG Winter Installfest will be held
as scheduled on Saturday, January 24th, starting about 10:00 am at Wake
Technical Community College. That's this Saturday!

== Directions ==

Wake Tech is located at 9101 Fayetteville Rd (US 401), Raleigh, if you'd
like to Mapquest it. Most folks will take I-40/I-440 to exit 298A,
South Saunders St. Head south, and stay to the right on US-401 where it
splits from US-70. Go south about 7-8 miles until you come to Ten-Ten
Rd (SR 1010); there is a Food Lion and Smithfield's Chicken on the left
just before this intersection. After crossing Ten-Ten Rd, you will see
Wake Tech on the left; enter at the second left, which is the main
entrance. (If you are coming from the southwest Triangle, you may want
to go to Apex and take Ten-Ten Rd from there instead of going all the
way into Raleigh -- check a map).

The installfest will be held in the Student Services Building, room
202. Consult the campus map located here for exact location; the
Student Services building is marked SS:
http://www.waketech.edu/campuses.html#maincampus

Questions? Email the TriLUG Steering Committee at steering AT trilug.org
*** Shameless Event Plug ****