internetworkers - [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael Best" <mbest AT dasya.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:12:19 -0500

I am considering setting up a web server machine at my home to host some of
my web sites. So far, I've installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 and not much else.
But now I'm kind of stuck. Also I'm not even sure if Linux is the way to
go. I've heard good things about BSD (Open/Free) also. What I'd really
like is an install will give me what I want out of the box: web, email, dns,
ssh, web-based configuration for all of the above, plus perl, php, c/c++
compilers, tcl, mysql, etc.

What experience have you had with setting up a web server? Thanks for your
time.

-- Michael Best