internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:26:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Michael Best wrote:
> I am considering setting up a web server machine at my home to host some of
> my web sites. So far, I've installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 and not much else.
> But now I'm kind of stuck. Also I'm not even sure if Linux is the way to
> go. I've heard good things about BSD (Open/Free) also. What I'd really
> like is an install will give me what I want out of the box: web, email, dns,
> ssh, web-based configuration for all of the above, plus perl, php, c/c++
> compilers, tcl, mysql, etc.
> What experience have you had with setting up a web server? Thanks for your
> time.

OK, big questions. Linux or BSD, either is fine and in my opinion the way
to go. I have a small preference for BSD, but no need to go into that
right now. RedHat 9 would do fine. Did you do the server install? You can
install all the packages you need during this. Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc.
This is the easiest way to get the packages you want on there. The biggest
thing is after the install. The administration of the box itself is gonna
take a little time if you haven't done it before. There are is a ton of
info available on the net. Remember google is your friend. If I were to
answer all your questions here I would have written a book, which there
are more than a few good ones out there. Suffice to say if you have RedHat
9 go for it. Do a server install with all the components/packages you
want/need. Hit the web and read a few walk-throughs...

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com