internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Gregory Woodbury <ggw AT wolves.durham.nc.us>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:32:16 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:12:19AM -0500, Michael Best wrote:
> I am considering setting up a web server machine at my home to host some of
> my web sites. So far, I've installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 and not much else.
> But now I'm kind of stuck. Also I'm not even sure if Linux is the way to
> go. I've heard good things about BSD (Open/Free) also. What I'd really
> like is an install will give me what I want out of the box: web, email, dns,
> ssh, web-based configuration for all of the above, plus perl, php, c/c++
> compilers, tcl, mysql, etc.
>
> What experience have you had with setting up a web server? Thanks for your
> time.
> -- Michael Best

I am using Fedora to run my home site (http://wolves.homeip.net) and
find it quite stable and capable. Fedora comes with all the necessary
components and is actively being patched for security glitches.

You can "upgrade" from RHL9 to fedora but a clean install is the better
process. The default install may leave some things to be desired, but
is adequate.

TriLUG is having an "installfest" Saturday the 24th at Wake Tech in
Raleigh, and there will be plenty of the veterans there to help in
getting Linux installed (and several different flavors will be available
for installation.)

You might also want to join the TriLUG mailing list
(http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo) for more direct Linux support.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury `-_-' Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us U RHCT August 2003