internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Setting up a web server machine
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:26:05 -0500

On Jan 20, 2004, at 9:12 AM, Michael Best wrote:

I am considering setting up a web server machine at my home to host some of
my web sites. So far, I've installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 and not much else.
But now I'm kind of stuck. Also I'm not even sure if Linux is the way to
go. I've heard good things about BSD (Open/Free) also. What I'd really
like is an install will give me what I want out of the box: web, email, dns,
ssh, web-based configuration for all of the above, plus perl, php, c/c++
compilers, tcl, mysql, etc.

Mike -

Depending on what kind of install you did the apache web server is already installed. You can verify this using the Red Hat Package Manager (RPM). Run "rpm -q httpd" and you should get back something like "httpd-2.0.48-1.2". Your document root is in /var/www/html and your cgi-bin is in /var/www/ Apache config files are in /etc/httpd/conf/.

You can check your php install the same way. Run "rpm -q php" to see if the base package is installed. There are optional modules, such as php-ldap, php-mysql, etc that you may want to look for as well.

With Red Hat 9 you can use 'yum' to install and search for new software. Try running "yum search php" After updating some headers you'll see a list of which packages, both installed and available match the string 'php'. You can then install any package with "yum install <package_name>"

--
Scott (aim: bluecame1)
blog: http://sackheads.org/~scottrus/blog/