internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Satellite Connections

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Satellite Connections
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:22:25 -0500

On Jan 6, 2004, at 1:23 PM, Ken Pugh wrote:

I know someone who's tried satellite. They're up in Maine. The connection works fine if nobody else is on. It bogs down to less than dialup speed in the middle of the day.

Cable has the same problem when there are lots of connections on a trunk, but it's probably much less noticeable since the total bandwidth is a lot higher.

Ken

Only bad thing about satellite is if say you're an IBM employee and have to use the IP Tunneling program to connect up.

The IPSEC application then makes dial-up look fast. Apparently at the satellite level the protocol 'stacks up' data until it hits a good packet size and then fires it off. IPSEC hates that delay.

I've not personally tried it myself but this is what the coworkers who got it told me.