internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Resume of George W. Bush

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT blast.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Resume of George W. Bush
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:32:46 -0500

On Dec 29, 2003, at 9:42 AM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Colleen McCarthy wrote:

e.. With the help of my brother, the governor of Florida, and my father's appointments to the Supreme Court, I became President after losing by over 500,000 votes.

While there is plenty about Bush to dislike, the people that harp
on this bug the heck out of me. Bush did not lose by over 500,000 votes,
because there are not 500,000 votes that count for the presidency.

Uh, Tanner ... Happy Non-Sectarian Winter Holiday!

When I read this, like I assume most others on the list, I inserted the word "popular", as in "500,000 popular votes". The meaning of the writer was clear: the majority of people in this country who voted wanted the other guy in the White House. I think only one other president (Harrison?) won the electoral college but lost the popular vote. The point is that the American people did not give the current president the sweeping support for his rather brash changes to both domestic and foreign policy. Can we harp on that? (grin)

And those 500,000 votes *did* count, just towards their electors, however.

What's funny is that the electoral college was created, in part, just to prevent the kind of thing that happened in Florida (squabbling over 500 votes or so).

-T
Tarus Balog Main:
+1 919 545 2553
Blast Internet Services, Inc. Fax: +1
919 542 5955
Email: tarus AT blast.com URL:
http://www2.blast.com/tarus
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C