internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] working while sick

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] working while sick
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:44:44 -0500 (EST)

"I have a million things that I could rant about."
--Anonymous

I briefly considered replying to the request, but it's just going to be a
glossed-over, pointless article. But that's not really what my rant is
about. It has to do with every such article, every public complaint.
They're all pointless.

Similar to the proposed article, I keep hearing how we Americans work too
much. Only the Japanese work more, it is said. Europeans get so much
more time off, it is said. The French recently lowered the work week to
35 hours. A working couple today still struggles to meet the same ends
that a single wage earner accomplished a generation or two ago. Vacation
time still isn't a legal requirement; it's a privilege, not a right
("they" say that about everything). Blah blah blah, etcetera such and so
forth.

I've been hearing these complaints for years, but has anything changed?
Nope. If anything, we continue to work more and more. Nothing changes.
So why the hell do we bother to rant and rave about such things? Does it
make us feel better, just enough that we can continue to tolerate the
injustices that make up our lives?

Women still earn 75% of their male counterparts. Non-whites are still
second-class citizens. The haves still have and the have-nots still buy
into the system, convinced by Hollywood and legends that they too can make
it someday. And nothing ever changes.

I'm tired of hearing people complain. I'm tired of complaining myself.
We need to get up off our complacent asses and do something, anything. If
it's voting you believe in, go vote. Go write a letter to your
representative. Go protest. Hell, go blow up Time-Warner or Fox News or
Bill Gates' house. Just *do* something. Stop believing in all this crap.

eh, enough already. I'm going to go blow something up...

-peace,
-Alan