internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Salon article re: MoveOn (&voting machines)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Salon article re: MoveOn (&voting machines)
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:34:06 -0500

I possess the radical view that the code and network implementation for eVoting must indeed be Open Source.
...this system from Australia
http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,61045,00.html?tw=newsletter_topstories_html
Maybe not the same, but the U.S. needs something like this too.

The eVoting machines are coming.
I agree. Hence a big need for security concerns to be addressed.
Many tens of thousands have already been ordered by various states.
And Yes again.
Do I believe this will lead to accurate vote counts in the next election?
Hardly.
...Some of the best minds in Computer Science found so many holes in their implementation that Diebold chose to censor their ability to report the flaws.
Yep. ...one I came across. http://avirubin.com/vote

...all the more reason for tech type folks to accomplish a secure system.
Oh, but yes Ed -- a secure solution is possible. Just not the one that is being sold like snake oil all over the country by corrupt politicians and greedy businesspersons. Let me reiterate - We are all doomed.
I think there's a market for (state election boards would really like to have) secure voting systems, systems that don't have some of the problems being associated with the "snake oil" systems. .(..paper trail, audit able, open source. ...seems like it shouldn't be that difficult!)

I'm told that "all" systems have problems: Paper ballot, lever, optical scan, punch card (which we've heard about), all have been accuracy-challenged!

p.s. Tom Tolleson is not on this list, so he will not get your response (unless you BCC:'ed him, as well).
...done, I did bcc a "reply to all"
Ed W.