internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Re: Wal-Mart

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Re: Wal-Mart
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:48:25 -0400 (EDT)

.:Right-o! Lowe's was founded in Wilkes County, where I grew up. Lowe's
.:is one of the few Fortune 500 companies with headquarters in N.C. and
.:has made a lot of North Carolinians very wealthy.

You grew up in Wilkes?! I knew there was *something* wrong with ya... ;)

.:(BTW, Lowe's is pulling a lot
.:of its HQ jobs out of Wilkes and the housing market is depressed.

Lowe's is moving its HQ to the Charlotte 'burbs. (I believe Mooresville
is where they're building the new campus, but it might be somewhere else
on the Lake Norman shores.) As I understand it, they're a good 2+ years
away from moving completely out of Wilkesboro. A friend of mine does IT
for them and I haven't heard him announce any moving plans yet.

.:If you
.:want a nice house in the foothills, Wilkes is your place.... a mansion
.:for the price of a condo...)

*ahem* Wilkes is your place if you like Nascar (or just Nascar beer) and
don't mind dealing with small telecomm companies. Granted, you don't have
to deal with BellSouth, you just don't get their infrastructure. (If
nothing else demonstrates the quality of BS's infrastructure, trying to
get modern services in the mountains will.)

But if you don't mind the joys of home telecomm repair, and you don't mind
driving to Boone for beer (or Winston, depending on whether you drive
faster on straight or curvy roads) ... and you don't mind the locals ...
then Wilkes might just be the place for you. (Heck, even trailer parks
are safe ... it's too hilly for tornadoes!)

All other things aside, it *is* some beautiful countryside.

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)