internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Re: Re: Wal-Mart

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Manning <jmm AT sublogic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Re: Re: Wal-Mart
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:18:36 -0400

> Perhaps we cannot "blame" Wal-Mart for being more effective at being a
> corporation (which, by definition, has no purpose or guiding moral
> principle beyond making the greatest profit possible for its
> shareholders), but I think it's past time to try and reform notions of
> "corporate responsibility" to include being good global "citizens," or
> at least take back the power of the purchase to support those businesses
> that support US.
>
> Shop your job, folks. Shop your job. And shop your community, and your
> values. Or pretty soon, you won't be able to.

*that* is perfect, and is exactly what I was looking for - the real
people responsible for holding corporations (or any group) to whatever
standards we see fit (not screwing us over) is *US*

Any post-mortem view of "why did my favorite little store just get
killed?" will ultimately fall back on *us* (admittedly in the general
sense) for not spending our money (which is, again by definition, what
these corporations desire) where our proverbial mouth is.

To put it in more specific and still historical context: when
Wal-Mart ripped the "Made in USA" stickers off everything (because
they indeed were being made elsewhere), what did "we" (again, not INW
people specifically) do with all our purchasing power? Continue to
spend it at Wal-Mart. We're financial sluts, willing to trade our
values and principles for cheaper goods and services. We can't expect
corporations to act differently until we do, and that's a huge battle
to fight, albeit one worth fighting IMHO
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7 9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4