internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wanna tell someone to go 'F...' themselves?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve Burnett" <burnett AT pobox.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wanna tell someone to go 'F...' themselves?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, David R.Matusiak wrote:
>> And besides the Klingon tangent maybe we will all be luck enough to
have this thread fade into the abyss. I think there has been enough foul
language for one month.

> I learn something new everyday. And now I'm thinking Klingon is a foul
language. Hmmmm..

I wouldn't say foul. Although with the E-Prime like lack of "to be" [1]
lending a general tendency towards action in sentence construction, and
the heavy use of plosives, fricatives and gutterals in the speech,
Klingon's a great language for expressing strong emotion in in terms of
the physical action of speaking, so it is good for cursing.

[1] not a complete absence. Hamlet's line "to be or not to be" is
difficult and unwieldy to say in Klingon, but not impossible.

best,
Steve B
Wake Technical Community College: Instructor: 1994
Continuing Education: Foreign Languages: Klingon