internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Wanna tell someone to go "F..." themselves?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Parker, David X" <dmp31526 AT GlaxoWellcome.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Wanna tell someone to go "F..." themselves?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:15:40 -0400

No problem. It did get me thinking about how, in Utah, bastion of the Mormon
church, which frowns on profanity, some people use words like "flip" and
"fetch," as in "I'm so flippin' mad!" or "Shut the fetch up!" Drives me
nuts, I'll admit, and like you said, Ian, it's the more offensive word just
thinly disguised. I had a roommate who actualy once called someone a
"fetchin' fetcher." I mean, if you want to avoid using cuss words, don't go
for the nearest substitution. Instead of "fetchin' fetcher," how about
"half-wit reptile?" Just as effective and makes you sound smarter.

Of course, these substitutions for cuss words can be funny. Any of you seen
the BBC show "Father Ted"? In one episode, Ted is having a picnic and a
couple walk up to him and start yelling, "Get out of our fuppin' spot! We
had a fuppin' reservation!" When he asked them why they were talking that
way they pointed to a sign that said "No Swearing."

- Dave P.