internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Bush the monster?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Bush the monster?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:33:57 -0400

http://www.lwv.org/elibrary/nv/2002/voter_0302_4.html

Currently, during the average U.S. presidential election, between four
and six million votes, out of the approximately 100 million cast, are
"lost" or go uncounted due to faulty or outdated voting machinery and
registration problems, according to a study by scientists and engineers
from the California Institute of Technology and the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/nr/2003/vote.html

About 120,000 votes were lost in Massachusetts statewide elections in
2000 due to election practices and technologies that could be reformed,
according to a Caltech/MIT Voting Technology Project report written by
Charles Stewart, professor of political science at MIT, and funded by
The Boston Foundation.

The estimate of lost votes is based on Census Bureau research, which
reported that almost 10 percent of 1.3 million registered Massachusetts
voters who did not cast ballots that year cited “registration problems”
at the precinct as their reason. The MIT report, "Voting in
Massachusetts" (pdf file), states that these “lost” votes could be
recovered by adopting a range of sweeping and incremental reforms.

http://www.brennancenter.org/presscenter/pressrelease_2003_0730.html

LAWSUIT CHARGES CITY BOARD OF ELECTIONS KNOWINGLY FAILED TO REPAIR
VOTING MACHINES

60,000 New York City voters thwarted in 2000 election; Similar numbers
of lost votes in other recent elections; Minorities disproportionately
harmed

A lawsuit filed today in federal court claims that some 60,000 residents
of New York City failed to have their votes counted in the 2000
elections because the City Board of Elections left disabled a voting
machine device designed to prevent such “undervoting.” The device, known
as a “sensor latch,” had been disabled in all 7,000 New York City lever
voting machines. The suit filed in the Eastern District of New York on
behalf of the Working Families Party, ACORN and individual voters by the
Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law seeks to compel the
Board of Elections to repair the sensor latches in the City’s voting
machines.