internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] MP3s and Ethics at HonorCarolina Monday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] MP3s and Ethics at HonorCarolina Monday
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:12:44 -0400

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 08:49 PM, Sil Greene wrote:

[*] I should do some research; I'm hoping that Tim O'Brien got more of my
$15 when I bought from him after the show last Thursday than he would've
if I'd bought it from ye-olde-CD-retailer.

My understanding is that when you buy a CD from an artist on a major label at a concert, the artist keeps the majority of the money. Supposedly the artists are able to purchase the CDs near cost and keep most of the money from concert sales. Of course, every contract can be different.

With local artists who just pass the hat I try to purchase a CD instead of just leaving cash. Its hit or miss, in that local groups often change lineups so fast the CD doesn't have the same people or sound as the performance, but its fun to chat with the musicians.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC