internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] MP3s and Ethics at HonorCarolina Monday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] MP3s and Ethics at HonorCarolina Monday
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:49:50 -0400 (EDT)

.:+>come on by monday. the numbers say that records sales don't support many
.:+>bands. fewer that 5% see any $$$ at all. those see mostly a small advance.

.:+And go to their shows. And tell friends about them. Promote/support
.:+bands however seems fit to you. I have friends who, honestly, get songs
.:+online just to out the album or band and then go buy it if they like
.:+it. Kudos to that.

.:going to the shows is the best way to get money into the bands pockets.

Better still, go to the show and buy the cds *from* *them*. You'll
pay a little less for it, and they[*] get a little more. You might even
have the chance to get them signed.

[*] I should do some research; I'm hoping that Tim O'Brien got more of my
$15 when I bought from him after the show last Thursday than he would've
if I'd bought it from ye-olde-CD-retailer.

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)