internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Broadband ISP suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Gregory Woodbury <ggw AT wolves.durham.nc.us>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Broadband ISP suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:03:11 -0400 (EDT)

"It was written once upon a time (by Jeremy Portzer):"

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Michael Pose wrote:
> > I am looking for a new boradband ISP (DSL or Cable) in the Cary area.
> > Before anyone starts on that one, moving out of Cary is out of the
> > question > > at the moment ;)
> > Any suggestions besides the usual suspects (BellSouth, Roadrunner, AOL)?
> >
> > Cost is definitely a factor right now, but also reliability, speed etc.
>
> Sorry I couldn't make the gathering last night, I really need to meet some
> people from here!

We missed you. It was a great gathering.

> Anyway, the alternative that I prefer is Earthlink Cable Internet.
> Your connection is through Time Warner's cable network, and you deal with
> Time Warner for the physical aspects, as well as the billing. But your
> ISP services come from Earthlink -- they have better news servers, mail
> servers, etc. Also, they are $3/mo. cheaper than Road Runner ($41.95 vs.
> $44.95). In addition, you get unlimited nationwide dialup through
> Earthlink's dialup network; I believe the RoadRunner dialup is limited to
> a few hours per month.
>
> Overall, cable is generally faster than DSL and provides about the same
> reliability. Since I do not have a home phone line (I simply use my cell
> phone), the choice of cable vs. DSL was a no-brainer, and Earthlink seems
> to be the best ISP choice for me. However, if you live in Durham (Verizon
> territory), DSL is slightly cheaper at $34.95, though there may be some
> junk fees. (Cable has no junk fees added on.)

There are no junk fees for Verizon DSL. I pay $32.xx for VADI DSL line
and $2.95 for Verizon Online ISP. But then I'm a grandfathered VADI
retail account. New Users are direct VOL users at 34.95 for both the
DSL line and the ISP included. New Users also get 1.5/128 (down/up) for
that price.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury `-_-' Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us U