internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Broadband ISP suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Broadband ISP suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:36:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Michael Pose wrote:

> I am looking for a new boradband ISP (DSL or Cable) in the Cary area.
> Before anyone starts on that one, moving out of Cary is out of the
> question
> at the moment ;)
> Any suggestions besides the usual suspects (BellSouth, Roadrunner, AOL)?
>
> Cost is definitely a factor right now, but also reliability, speed etc.

Sorry I couldn't make the gathering last night, I really need to meet some
people from here!

Anyway, the alternative that I prefer is Earthlink Cable Internet.
Your connection is through Time Warner's cable network, and you deal with
Time Warner for the physical aspects, as well as the billing. But your
ISP services come from Earthlink -- they have better news servers, mail
servers, etc. Also, they are $3/mo. cheaper than Road Runner ($41.95 vs.
$44.95). In addition, you get unlimited nationwide dialup through
Earthlink's dialup network; I believe the RoadRunner dialup is limited to
a few hours per month.

Overall, cable is generally faster than DSL and provides about the same
reliability. Since I do not have a home phone line (I simply use my cell
phone), the choice of cable vs. DSL was a no-brainer, and Earthlink seems
to be the best ISP choice for me. However, if you live in Durham (Verizon
territory), DSL is slightly cheaper at $34.95, though there may be some
junk fees. (Cable has no junk fees added on.)

You do not have to have cable TV service for either Road Runner or
Earthlink cable Internet -- there still seems to be a misconception about
that.

Good luck!

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |