internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Major blackout in northeast/Canada

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Major blackout in northeast/Canada
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:54:39 -0400

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 10:47 AM, childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov wrote:

<snip>

Along those same lines, the only way to truly prevent huge power grid
failures is not to have a huge grid. IOW, decentralize and
disconnect/de-grid power generation, or at least have more off-grid
backups. Wind and solar generation would help prevent such problems
somewhat, as the "monolithic power plant" model of today would be
replaced by multiple smaller generating sources, making any
generation-based anomalies smaller and potentially less catastrophic.
However, large commercial wind farms would still have to be linked to a
grid system to deliver the power. I vote that we all should have some PV
panels on our houses instead. Then we could build neighborhood grids,
and we wouldn't have to wait for Duke Power, etc. to wire us back up.

wouldn't it be nice if a Department of Alternative Energy Sources was started?

and their budget was not so low as to slowly starve the project?

and they trained/employed some of Americas unemployed millions?

and we then get better power distribution and less toxic waste?

happy friday!
dave m.