internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] random NC statutes

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] random NC statutes
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:01:17 -0400

My favourite bit of local law is from Chapel Hill's town code:
----
Sec. 11-6.  Discharge of firearms, BB guns.

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer acting in discharge of his duties or a resident acting in defense of his own property, to discharge any gun, rifle, air rifle, BB gun, pistol or firearms of any description, within the town limits, except that, upon written permit given by the chief of police, an air rifle or BB gun may be used by a resident for the purpose of shooting squirrels or other predatory wild animals while said animals are on the property of said resident.
-----

So there you have it: Squirrels are officially predatory wild animals.  I was also once informed by the Town of Chapel Hill Animal Control Office that "Squirrels don't usually carry rabies[...]squirrels are just wierd".

Anyway, what predatory wild animals would you like to enage using nothing but a bb gun (kid sisters are considered domesticated, not wild).