internetworkers - [internetworkers] info on digital cameras needed

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] info on digital cameras needed
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:31:11 -0400

I am considering buying a general purpose digital camera in the near
future. As with cell phones, there are a gazillion different cameras out
there, and I am admittedly a nooB when it comes to digital photography.
I know this topic has been discussed before here and on other lists, but
I suspect that the technology has advanced enough in the interim to make
it worth asking again. I am looking for a camera in the $300-500 range,
and would be willing to spend more if the advantages of a more expensive
one are compelling enough. I want to use it as a general purpose camera
for vacation snapshots, pictures at parties and social gatherings, for
macro photography, and for sports events and other events with a good
amount of motion. I don't see myself printing a lot of photos, but would
like to be able to print photos up to maybe 4x6 with good quality, and I
would like to be able to use photos in web sites. I would like a fairly
decent built-in flash and optical zoom with the equivalent of at least
35 - 135 mm focal lengths in 35 mm photography. I don't care how many
automatic settings it will have available, but would like to be able to
focus and set the exposure manually. It should be rugged enough to not
fall apart the first time it is treated a little less than gently.

Can anybody recommend a suitable camera? Are there particular brands to
seek out or avoid? What are the different storage systems currently
available and what are their relative advantages and disadvantages? Is
there anything else I need to look for in shopping for a digital camera?

TIA,
Bill