internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Getting something out of broken Yamaha Synthesizer disk drive

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rthigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Getting something out of broken Yamaha Synthesizer disk drive
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:27:45 -0400

sil,

it sounds as if you are assuming an internal HD. i believe this is an older unit that probably only had a slot for a proprietary "RAM card" or at best a floppy disk drive.

it sounds to me as if it's this floppy disk drive that has failed.

my recommendations work on the assumpation that the song data still exists in persistent memory and that it is playable, but just needs to be extracted.

--rt

Sil Greene wrote:

RT makes a good point -- can you still access the drive? If so, his suggestions might do the trick ... if not, read on...

Best option is to find a data retrieval place that would do a bitwise retrieval (essentially dd the data off to an image file). I don't know if anyone offers that service, and the damage to the drive may make the data unrecoverable. Even if you get an image, drive damage may have corrupted something.