internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Getting something out of broken Yamaha Synthesizer disk drive

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Getting something out of broken Yamaha Synthesizer disk drive
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:26:14 -0400

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 01:17 PM, B wrote:

I just found out that MSM ("My Sweet Man," aka "spousal unit" aka "Forrest") has a non-working disk drive in his Yamaha SY 99 synthesizer that has a most wonderful but not backed-up musical work on it. The disk drive "makes a racket" upon access attempt. (I not only don't know the particular machine, I'm as clueless with synth's as I am with quantum physics. Both of us are *painfully* aware that he should have immediately backed the work onto real and multiple storage options, as it was a really nice piece. Tsk.)

He says the only answer he knows is Bull City Sound in Durham, but cash="tight".... Do any of you know any options?

He should of course talk to the closest authorized Yamaha repair center, but I seriously doubt they could retrieve the data. Most likely they'd just replace the drive and that is it. *If* the drive uses a known format you could conceivably send it to a data retrieval place, but that's also likely to be expensive.

Some things just are, so stop before you spill allegory all over your shirt. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC