internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Getting something out of broken Yamaha Synthesizer disk drive

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rthigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Getting something out of broken Yamaha Synthesizer disk drive
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:55:21 -0400

Does it have a memory card feature? If the piece would fit, you might be able to back it up on one of these.

Does it have a MIDI out? If so it could be wired to another device (sequencer or computer w/MIDI-in) that could record the piece. You'd lose the voicing of this particular synth but the data would be there. Many sequencers have means for backing up data. For the computer, there are composition programs that can open MIDI files and save/convert to sheet music.

Worst case, you could also record the audio out and attempt to recreate the piece from that.

hth,

--rt

B wrote:

I just found out that MSM ("My Sweet Man," aka "spousal unit" aka "Forrest") has a
non-working disk drive in his Yamaha SY 99 synthesizer that has a most wonderful but not backed-up musical work on
it. The disk drive "makes a racket" upon access attempt. (I not only don't know the particular machine, I'm
as clueless with synth's as I am with quantum physics. Both of us are *painfully* aware that he should have
immediately backed the work onto real and multiple storage options, as it was a really nice piece. Tsk.)