internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] First in flight?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] First in flight?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:28:04 -0400

> ->I don't think we can expect a great one, like D.C.'s "Taxation Without
> ->Representation" or New Hampshire's "Live Free Or Die." I would just like
one

> DC doesn't have that phrase on their licence plates any longer.

Any idea why they changed?

In the course of trying to figure that out, I found a couple of sites all
about license plates.

http://www.15q.net/
http://www.plateshack.com/

Here's all of the current ones:

http://www.15q.net/curr.html

Of these, several states, including California, just punt and have no motto.

Alabama has the strangest: "Stars Fell On Alabama." Did this happen recently,
or was there a history lesson I missed??

I think West Virginia is the most eloquent: "Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia."

Arkansas is "The Natural State," Indiana is "The Crossroads of America," and
Massachusetts is "The Spirit Of America." Who knew?

Pennsylvania attempts pragmatism with www.state.pa.us. But I hope no one is
inspired to go to the web site while doing 80 m.p.h. on the interstate.

My first thought was that we should just revert to whatever the N.C. license
plates had before "First In Flight." A little digging reveals that N.C.'s
previous state motto -- "First In Freedom," a reference to the Halifax
Resolves in 1776 -- was also wrought with turmoil:

"This plate was issued at the end of 1974 and caused a bit of controversy with
the slogan. Other states questioned the right of a southern state that had
seceded from the union during the Civil War to claim to have been "First in
Freedom". The slogan was dropped from the base in 1978. This base was issued
through 1978 and could be valid with stickers as late as 1991."