internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] are there a need for tools to manage textile workers of the future?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: INW <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] are there a need for tools to manage textile workers of the future?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:22:09 -0500 (EST)

> Are Microsoft Project (or equivalent time/delieverable tracking
> software), source version countrol, and email sufficient tools
> to handle the communication and process needs that are unique to
> managing an outsourced software project ?

In my dealings with our Indian office, I think you need to add:

1) something to track bugs/enhancements (ala bugzilla)
2) longer-term archive of feature/R&D requests and discussion
(ala local usenet groups)
3) some VoIP tool, because POTS lines in some countries reek,
and crunches come where you don't have time to IM a big
discussion.
4) Drugs to help you deal with the messed up sleep schedule
that come from interfacing with someone halfway around
the world realtime the week before a release. Yeah.
Definitely.