internetworkers - [internetworkers] what she said

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Thomas Beckett)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] what she said
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:00:54 -0500 (EST)

I have to concur with Gina. This group doesn't have a written
constitution or rules, we just operate by rough consensus and
working code, as it were. In my opinion that's one secret of our
longevity. We make up our standards as we go along.

I think we do generally agree upon civility and "professional"
behavior in our dealings with each other. We are, as a whole,
friends. We get together in real time/space to enjoy each others'
company. That's another secret of our longevity.

In any community, some folks are likely to disagree, or even to
dislike each other. In real time/space, we generally don't see
that type of disaffinity dissolve into yelling, shouting or even
fighting. If we do, other people tend to intervene right away.
As a member of this community, I appreciate the efforts of those
who tried to intervene in the little scrap that occured here this
morning.

I have observed that in general here, we don't engage in a lot of
personal attacks, sniping or other flamebait variations. In "good"
debates I have seen here, people disagree, but they don't personalize
it. Are there times when personalizing it is necessary? I don't
know, but perhaps we should discuss it.

Are there times when throwing out a polemic to stir things up is
acceptable? Maybe so, let's discuss it. What are the proper
ways to respond to polemical discussion? If polemic calls for a
"fuck you" in response, and a "fuck you" is given, does that
mean a fight must automatically ensue?

We all have the /right/ to say what we think. But (IMO) we have the
duty to our community to consider the effects of what we say.

What do you think?

TaB

Quoth Gina: