internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Dave Matusiak's Taboo Reaction

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Gina Norman)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Dave Matusiak's Taboo Reaction
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:50:11 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2CBA4.514310E0

> Perhaps it goes to the way space travel has become more commonplace,
> and therefore a crash like this is less extraordinary for me. The
> Challenger explosion affected me deeply. Perhaps that is why, after
> 18 or so years, a second such loss seems less significant.

You know, I was thinking about this over the weekend... I think that, for
some people, the significance of this weekend's shuttle explosion might have
been *more* painful _because_ they remembered the first one, and this one is
stirring up old grief.

I think that psychological "echoes" of strongly-felt emotions are not that
uncommon.

I also wondered how much of the media play was due the fact that many of the
ppl making decisions now about coverage are our generation, and for us, this
kind of (24x7) coverage was made "standard" by the Challenger.

My $.02, YMMV, of course.

-Gina

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2CBA4.514310E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2654.89">
<TITLE>RE: [internetworkers] Re: Dave Matusiak's Taboo Reaction</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Perhaps it goes to the way space travel has =
become more commonplace,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; and therefore a crash like this is less =
extraordinary for me.&nbsp; The</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Challenger explosion affected me deeply.&nbsp; =
Perhaps that is why, after</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; 18 or so years, a second such loss seems less =
significant. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You know, I was thinking about this over the =
weekend... I think that, for some people, the significance of this =
weekend's shuttle explosion might have been *more* painful _because_ =
they remembered the first one, and this one is stirring up old =
grief.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I think that psychological &quot;echoes&quot; of =
strongly-felt emotions are not that uncommon.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I also wondered how much of the media play was due =
the fact that many of the ppl making decisions now about coverage are =
our generation, and for us, this kind of (24x7) coverage was made =
&quot;standard&quot; by the Challenger.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My $.02, YMMV, of course.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Gina</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>