internetworkers - [internetworkers] No conspiracy, just a Columbia/NASA re-entry decision question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Dan Smith)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] No conspiracy, just a Columbia/NASA re-entry decision question
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:57:53 -0500

Has anyone yet heard a news report about why the shuttle wasn't docked
with the space station during its flight?

Good sense would suggest if there was even a remote question about
potential left wing damage, NASA should have ordered the shuttle to dock
with the space station, where the station's robotic arm with attached
camera could have made a close up visual inspection. The station's arm
was installed sometime ago, and since the shuttle doesn't always carry
its arm, a station docking would have been wise. They all could have
remained safely in space while a crew recovery mission was planned.

I have only seen/heard news reports indicating the flight engineers did
not feel there was a re-entry danger.