internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] domain SCAM alert [fwd: selling my domain..]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Joey O'Doherty <joey AT odoherty.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] domain SCAM alert [fwd: selling my domain..]
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:47:35 -0500

Woah, check this out: Spamassassin now does bayesian filtering!

From: http://spamassassin.org/dist/README

Since SpamAssassin now includes a Bayesian learning filter (in version
2.50 on), it is worthwhile training SpamAssassin with your collection of
non-spam and spam, if possible. This will make it more accurate for your
incoming mail. Do this using the "sa-learn-spam" and "sa-learn-nonspam"
commands, like so:

sa-learn-spam ~/Mail/saved-spam-folder
sa-learn-nonspam ~/Mail/inbox
sa-learn-nonspam ~/Mail/other-nonspam-folder

Use as many mailboxes as you like. Note that SpamAssassin will remember
what mails it's learnt from, so you can re-run this as often as you like.

Thomas C. Meggs wrote:
If any of you guys happen to have your email going through a place where you can use something like procmail, check out a program called spamassassin. [http://spamassassin.org/]

Basically it's a perl script that is used to filter your incoming messages. It applies a set of rules which apply different points to a message, and then if a message reaches a certain threshhold of points, it is dubbed as spam with a special header. Then with procmail you can have it relocate said spam messages into another folder, or to /dev/null.

I've been using it for the last 6 months or so with a very close to 100% success rate. The only messages that it has trapped have been highly suspect to begin with. There have, however, been 2 occasions where a piece of spam for a specific site/product came through, but I just added the domains to the configurable blackhole list SpamAssassin provides.

Here is an example message which has been moved into my spam folder, it was the only message in the entire folder which had the word 'Banana' in it, so I thought it was appropriate...